Wednesday, July 16, 2014

We've Moved

There have been so many changes taking place! I wanted to wait until events died down to blog everything, but I think we're just going to have to get used to the constant shifting around here for a while, so let me tell you what's been going on.

The other secretaries joked that this label-maker was my "husband" at work. I used this guy a lot. I was sad to leave him behind.





Brett got the job with EaglePicher! They wanted him to start as soon as he could, so we spent about 2 weeks finding a place to live, quitting my job, packing up and moving out. We moved on July 2nd.


We now live in Joplin, Missouri. Much bigger city, much bigger apartment. And, yes, Joplin was hit by a big tornado 3 years ago.
Joplin is alright though. About a third of the city is completely new. I heard that while the high school is being rebuilt the students meet for classes in an old mall. The little shops have been converted into classrooms. A teenager's dream: high school at the mall.

The day after we moved in our car was totaled. All 4 people involved, including me (Brett was not in the car at the time), were fine, but very shook up. It was a complete accident, but now we are without a car, again. So, we've transitioned from apartment hunting to car hunting. Ugh!

On the bright side, our auto insurance gave us a rental car, so Brett has been able to get to work.
Brett really likes his job. He has been hired on contract for a year to be the ceramic engineer for a big-money battery research and development project. He has his own office too. He says the team is really fun to work with.
These batteries he's working on store energy for things like wind turbines and solar panels. Although it's a temporary contract position, the job has potential for permanency.

first day of professional career

petting the bunnies at Petmart

a small birthday



4 comments:

  1. Chad and I moved from Joplin to Rolla and we still go back frequently to visit family. You will love living there! We will let you know next time we are in town and we'll take you around to our favorite places. Which ward are you in?
    Alicia Whitbeck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Whitney! I miss you. Can't wait to see you on our wedding day! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need your new Address. Congrats on the new job Brett!

    ReplyDelete