Monday, February 16, 2015

A Birthday Project

For my birthday I set out to do my own birthday project. If you haven't heard of it, it means that you celebrate your birthday by doing as many Random Acts of Kindness as the age you are turning. So I planned a list of 25 things to do to show kindness for others.

A few of my favorites were:

- Putting a bag of  peanut M&Ms in the mailbox with a note for our mail man that said "Thank you for driving Miles & Miles to bring us our mail." The only mail we got that day was a thank you note from the mail man.

- Going to Wal Mart to buy a bouquet of flowers. As I passed by the tax booths near the registers I handed a flower to the lady sitting at the desk eating her sack lunch. We didn't say anything to each other, but her smile said a million words.

- Heart Attacking the Elder missionary's apartment. We went to give them cookies, and then on a whim I decided they needed more than that, so we cut out paper hearts, wrote motivational thoughts on them and taped them to their front door.

- On our way to give cookies to the Bishop's family I stopped to give the Bishop's daughter a ride home from school. That wasn't on my list of things to do, but the wind was so cold, and she has to walk home carrying a heavy violin case and backpack. I've totally been there, so I couldn't help it. I got a text about an hour later from her mother saying that her daughter couldn't remember my name, so they had to look at pictures of all the ward members to find out who I was so she could tell the right person thank you.

Many of these acts of kindness were anonymous. My hope was to bring a smile to people's faces.
Completing this project took much more time and driving around town than I anticipated, but Brett was a good sport and I think he enjoyed doing everything with me. At the end of the day we stopped at Red Lobster for dinner - a real treat for me. Then we went home and enjoyed my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Brownie Layered Fudge Cake that I made.


No comments:

Post a Comment