Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Grilled Salmon Tacos with Spicy Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw

Halloween itself is not very exciting as an adult when you don't have kids and you don't live in an area where you get trick-or-treaters coming to your door. So, since it happened on a Friday night we made a movie date night out of it. I made some homemade soft pretzels and we watched "Casper". I remember watching that movie as a really little kid. I was probably about five or six. I only know that because my first goldfish's name was named after one of the ghosts on the movie.
We couldn't believe we even watched it as young kids. There's some strong language in that movie. So, the movie was kind of a blast from the past, but we decided that it's not worth seeing ever again.

Brett found out that the plant is closed for the whole week of Christmas, so for the rest of the year he's working overtime every day to make up for the hours he'll have off for all the holidays. So since he's working late we had to scramble yesterday to get to our voting location on time before it closed. I prepared a yummy portable dinner to take along so that we wouldn't be cranky voting on empty stomachs.

As I was planning dinner meals for this week I found a lovely picture on Pinterest and was really inspired to make our delicious take-out dinner on Election Day.



Brett thought they were really yummy as he ate them on the car ride to the poll. I just pulled it all together before I went to pick him up. I had prepared the coleslaw about 3 hours beforehand and covered it to sit in the fridge to chill. The salmon takes very little time to prep and cook. I warmed some corn tortillas on the griddle and then assembled the tacos on squares of foil, wrapped them up and bagged them "to-go" style. So easy.

This meal made enough to feed the two of us with a little extra leftover for me to eat for lunch today. But these recipes can be adapted to feed as many people as you want.


Spicy Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw
In a large mixing bowl whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, grated peel and juice from half a lime, 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp honey (or more to taste), and 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves. I also added a couple dashes of cayenne pepper to give it a more spicy kick. Then toss together with 4 cups of finely shredded green cabbage. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour. I promise it will be best if you make it a day ahead.

Honey-Lime Grilled Salmon
First preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. I covered a baking sheet with foil and greased it with olive oil, then sprinkled salt and pepper all over it. Then I placed my salmon fillets (no skin) into the baking sheet. In a small heatproof bowl or a mug I melted 2 Tbsp butter. To it I added about 1 teaspoon of honey and juice from the other half of the lime from making the coleslaw. I swirled it around to dissolve the honey and then poured it evenly over the tops of the fish. Then I sprinkled cayenne pepper over the fish to taste. Bake the fish for 15 minutes, then set under the broiler for another 2-4 minutes. I let the fish rest a couple minutes after removing them from the oven, then cut them lengthwise into 1-inch wide strips to fit inside the tacos. Eat on warm tortillas with cold Spicy Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw.



No comments:

Post a Comment