Sunday, November 16, 2014

First Snow

Since Halloween it's gotten much colder in southwestern Missouri. Like a biting dry cold, which I don't remember feeling since I lived in Idaho.

Last night after dinner we were all comfy in our pajamas, enjoying warmth, and we got an urgent phone call that the Bishop needed to see us right away in his office.
So we hurried to get dressed and to the church, all the while, every possible scary thought racing through our minds about new callings, chastisement, someone dying.....dreading what could possibly be so urgent (since we already had an appointment to see him the following afternoon).
When we arrived at the building there were other couples waiting there and we were ushered into the clerk's office right away. The bishopric counselor comes in all cheerful and smiling, and says "We are giving you an extended release Sister Osmonson."
What does that mean?
He explained that the current Primary presidency I've been working with has been serving for over 3 years, and it was time to give them a break. That naturally meant that since I'm also in the presidency that I get released too, and someone else is going to replace me. As of yet, I have no new "calling" (or serving position) other than the other calling I have as the choir accompanist. 

This morning right before church it started to snow really hard all of a sudden! Not many people showed up there and in the middle of the meeting the Bishop announced that at the closing of the first meeting we should all go home because the snow was getting worse. It's weird to come home from church so early, but I'm glad we did because the roads were pretty slippery.

This past week I tried a recipe I had written down back in November 2011 (I actually date my recipe cards - you can laugh at me). To my surprise it was way better than I ever would have imagined. I can't say it's super healthy, but if your looking for a great Fall/Thanksgiving potluck side dish, this one is sure to please. We've actually been eating it for dessert because it's that good. It's an alternative to those candied yams or sweet potato casserole. In my opinion, this is better than both.


Acorn Squash Casserole serves 8

For the casserole:
3 acorn squash, halved and seeded (save those and toast them like pumpkin seeds)
2 1/2 Tbsp butter/margarine, softened
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk or half-and-half (depending on how rich you like it - I used 1% milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

For the topping:
2 1/2 Tbsp chilled butter/margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional - but very good)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the squash, cut side up, until flesh is soft (about 40-50 minutes). Cool, then scoop out the squash meat into a medium size mixing bowl.
Prepare the topping while the squash is baking. Toss together brown sugar and flour. Cut in cold butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
When the squash is done, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 11x7 or 9x13 baking pan.
With an electric mixer beat the squash until smooth. Then beat in eggs, white sugar, milk, vanilla, salt, and softened butter until well-blended. (It's okay if the butter doesn't fully incorporate as long as pieces of it are even throughout.)
Spoon squash mixture into the greased pan. Sprinkle topping over the squash. Bake uncovered until lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment